Internet Safety For Students
Many RCPS students participate in social networking sites such as MySpace.com, Facebook.com and Xanga.com. Students should take every precaution not to share or post personal information (including photographs) that can be used to identify themselves.
"If you wouldn't put it on your refrigerator for your parents to see.....don't put it on the internet." Andy Clapper
**A reminder to students that using your RCPS laptop for anything other than an instructional purpose is a violation of the RCPS laptop loan agreement and the RCPS Acceptable Use Policy.
Links to safety tips for the internet and social networking sites.
- wiredsafety.org The world's largest online safety and help group.
- NetSmartz.org The NetSmartz Workshop is an interactive, educational safety resource to teach kids and teens how to stay safer on the Internet.
- safekids.com Your family's guide to making the Internet and Technology
fun, safe and productive.
- ThinkB4 U Click Roanoke County School's official technology safety site;
contains iSafe newsletters and other safety information.
- Safe Internet Surfing Tips for kids and parents.
- safeteens.com A place for teens and parents to learn how to use the Internet safely. No preaching, just good advice.
- Center for Missing and Exploited Children Internet Related Safety Tips for Teens
- Teens Health: Internet Safety Safe Surfing Tips
- FTC Social Networking Sites: Safety Tips for Tweens and Teens
- Common Sense Internet Safety Survival Guide