Welcome to Fort Lewis Elementary!
Fort Lewis Elementary School formerly served the entire western portion of Roanoke County. The name was derived from the nearby fort, which was named for General Andrew Lewis, local soldier-patriot of the American Revolution. The first Fort Lewis School was a one room structure built in 1889 on one-half an acre of land purchased for $50.00. By the 1900's the school had grown to four rooms. In 1928, 5.3 acres of land were purchased for $3000.00 and the present school was built west of the original structure. It consisted of seven classrooms and an auditorium. In 1941, five more classrooms were added and alterations were made in the original design giving eleven classrooms, a library, cafeteria, teacher's workroom, and a combination auditorium/gym. The latest renovation was in 1996 and doubled the size of the original building by adding four more classrooms, a new auditorium/gym, kitchen, cafeteria, custodial storage, and teacher's workroom. Another 1.4 acres of land was also purchased for a playground.
When Fort Lewis was first built the teachers were responsible for most of the work including starting fires, cleaning rooms, and carrying water. A lot has changed over the years, but one thing has remained steadfast - the pride the community, staff, and students feel for Fort Lewis.