Art Education is basic to an individuals perception and understanding of the world in which we live. Creative learning enables students to interpret these perceptions in visual form. Art Education teaches students to respect and appreciate their own interpretations and those of others. A sequential art program develops basic skills, encourages visual awareness and is fundamental to intellectual growth and creative self-expression.
A balanced and sequential art education program fosters the students perception of both their real and imagined worlds. Through structured course work which includes knowledge of artists, art principles and educated critique the students will be exposed to cultures around the world. The art program enables each student to develop positive attitudes toward self, others and the environment through creative experiences. Problem solving and creative learning encourages the student to relate visual knowledge to other core subjects and to respond with originality, appreciation, flexibility and imagination. The use and application of skills, processes and mediums encourages self-expression, creative growth, discovery, and the realization of ideas. Assessment is made on individual achievement related to each students stage of growth and development. The art program is sequential and cumulative enabling knowledge, aesthetic judgments, skills and abilities to be strengthened. Commitment to this program is essential to every students development as a well-rounded, creative and productive citizen.
The goals of art education in Roanoke County Schools are to aid each pupil to the full extend of his or her abilities to:
- Perceive and understand relationships among the elements and principles of design as they appear in the natural and man-made environment, as they influence mental images, and as they appear in works of art.
Appreciation / Awareness
- Develop an interest and appreciation of the visual arts through the study of cultures and historical periods in which they are created.
Knowledge / Interrelationships
- Develop a working knowledge of the language of art and an understanding of the relationship of the visual arts to other fields of knowledge.
- Think and act creatively by solving problems and by responding with originality, flexibility, fluency, and imagination.
Production / Skills
- Develop technical skills for using art mediums as a means of personal expression and communication.
Judgement / Critique
- Make aesthetic judgements about the environment, works of art, and other man-made forms of objects.
RCS Art Online Curricula
Home / Gallery / Art Shows /... in Our Schools / Art Teachers /
Philosophy & Goals / Art SOL / Links / Index / Contact